Re: [Haskell-cafe] Design question, HTML for GUIs?

Subject: Re: [Haskell-cafe] Design question, HTML for GUIs?
From: Jochem Berndsen
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 20:00:51 +0100
GÃnther Schmidt wrote:
> as probably most people I find the GUI part of any application to be the
> hardest part.
>
> It just occurred to me that I *could* write my wxHaskell desktop
> application as a web app too.
>
> When the app starts, a haskell web server start listening on localhost
> port 8080 for example and I fire up a browser to page localhost:8080
> without the user actually knowing too much about it.
>
> Is that a totally stupid idea?

No, this is not (necessarily) a stupid idea. In fact it might be a good
idea in a lot of cases.

A downside is, that you lose the functionality for user access control
provided by the OS on multi-user machines (i.e., other users working on
the same machine can connect to localhost:8080 too). This might or might
not be a concern for you.

Regards, Jochem
--
Jochem Berndsen | [email protected] | [email protected]çåçé.com