haskell-cafe@haskell.org

[Haskell-cafe] Announcing a summer internship for a NASA-sponsored proje

Subject: [Haskell-cafe] Announcing a summer internship for a NASA-sponsored project
From: Lee Pike
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 08:49:02 -0800
*               ANNOUNCING:                    *
* SUMMER INTERNSHIP FOR NASA-SPONSORED PROJECT *

The National Institute of Aerospace (NIA) and Galois, Inc. would like to announce a Summer Visitor position for a joint in the summer of 2010 (and the summer of 2011). The position will be located at the NIA, located in the historic Hampton Roads area of Virginia, U.S. The visitor will work with researchers at both the NIA and Galois.

PROJECT OVERVIEW:
We are looking for a summer visitor to work on a NASA-sponsored project investigating runtime monitoring applied to hard real-time distributed systems such as avionics. Runtime monitoring is an approach to check a system's conformance to safety specifications at runtime. The work is being directed by Dr. Alwyn Goodloe (NIA) and Dr. Lee Pike (Galois, Inc.)---contact below.

The visitor's work will depend on the skills and interests of the student, but it will likely focus on the development and application of of a monitor synthesis tool, CoPilot. Copilot takes property specification and synthesizes monitors for the properties to embedded C. Copilot is a Haskell library built on top of the Haskell eDSL Atom <http://hackage.haskell.org/package/atom>. The work is expected to lead to one or more conference publications.

QUALIFICATIONS:
 * MUST-HAVES:
* The candidate should have significant experience in programming in modern typed functional programming languages such as Haskell, OCAML, or Clean (programming will be done mainly in Haskell).
   * Some experience and exposure to writing and debugging C programs.
   * Some experience with using and configuring *nix systems.

 * NICE-TO-HAVES:
* Experience with real-time systems, RTOSes, scheduling, distributed systems, control theory, or avionics. * Experience or interest in in configuring a small distributed hardware-based system (e.g., using Arduinos). * Experience or interest in formal methods (e.g., model-checking, temporal logics, runtime monitoring).
   * Good writing skills/experience in writing technical papers.
* Interest in continuing collaboration at his or her home institution during the remainder of the year.
   * Interest in an internship for the summers of 2010 *and* 2011.
   * Interest in NASA.

 * DO *NOT* NEED:
* A degree (we're interested in hearing from post-docs, graduate students, and undergrads). * U.S. citizenship or work visa (all expenses are paid, but we anticipate this being an unpaid internship).

ABOUT THE NIA:
The National Institute of Aerospace is a nonprofit institution with both research and educational components. We have both full-time research staff members as well as faculty and graduate students from our six member universities. Research carried out at NIA includes fluid mechanics, space vehicle design, atmospheric science, material science, and computer science. Within computer science, the primary focus is in formal methods, and we work closely with the formal methods group at NASA's Langley Research Center, located less than one mile away. The visitor will have an opportunity for frequent interaction with the NASA Langley Formal Methods Group.

The NIA is located in Hampton, Virginia. The cities of Norfolk and Virginia Beach are nearby as is historic Colonial Willamsburg. Numerous attractions and activities are available within an hour's drive. Within a couple of hours are the Outer Banks of North Carolina and Washington DC, which are popular weekend getaways for our summer visitors. NASA and NIA both host a large number of summer visitors (undergraduate and graduate students) from around the world.

ABOUT GALOIS:
Galois, Inc. is located in Portland, Oregon with a mission to create trustworthiness in critical systems. We’re in the business of taking blue-sky ideas and turning them into real-world technology solutions. We've been developing real-world systems for the past 10 years using Haskell.

BENEFITS:
This is anticipated to be an unpaid but internship in which all living expenses are covered. These include
 * travel expenses to and from the NIA and your home
 * housing allowance
 * food allowance
 * rental car and gas

TO APPLY:
Please email a C.V. (PDF or plain text) and a brief plain text note statting your interest and experience to Dr. Alwyn Goodloe at <alwyn.goodloe@xxxxxxxxxx >. There is flexibility regarding the dates of the visit.

***************************************
* Application due date: Jan. 15, 2010 *

LEARN MORE:
 * NIA website: http://www.nianet.org/