haskell-cafe@haskell.org

[Haskell-cafe] Re: Hmm, what license to use?

Subject: [Haskell-cafe] Re: Hmm, what license to use?
From: Simon Marlow
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 16:54:57 +0100
Magnus Therning wrote:

I've heard that the OCaml crowd uses a modified LGPL with a static
linking exception.  Unfortunately I've also heard that their addition
to LGPL hasn't gotten much review by lawyers, I'd much rather use
something that feels less ad hoc, if you get what I mean.

Any suggestions?

I don't know of any "officially sanctioned" licenses that have this property, but I'd just like to call for the LGPL + static linking exception license to be made more visible by putting it on the wiki somewhere, or perhaps including it as an option for the license field in Cabal. We need to publicise the fact that complying with the LGPL is difficult in the context of Haskell, and give people a way to easily work around it.

Cheers,
        Simon