haskell-cafe@haskell.org

[Haskell-cafe] RE: [Haskell] Re: Trying to install binary-0.4

Subject: [Haskell-cafe] RE: [Haskell] Re: Trying to install binary-0.4
From: "Bayley, Alistair"
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 14:01:01 +0100
> From: Simon Marlow [mailto:simonmarhaskell@xxxxxxxxx]
>
> The lexicographical ordering would make 10.0 > 9.3.  In
> general, A.B > C.D
> iff A > C or A == C && B > D.  When we say the "latest"
> version we mean
> "greatest", implying that version numbers increase with time.
>  Does that help?

Sort of. It's what I'd expect from a sensible version comparison. It's
just not something I'd ever choose to call lexicographic ordering. IMO,
lexicographgic ordering is a basic string comparision so e.g.

max "10.0" "9.3" = "9.3"

I'd call what you're doing numeric ordering. Does it have a better name,
like version-number-ordering, or section-number-ordering (e.g. Section
3.2.5, Section 3.2.6)?

Alistair
Confidentiality Note: The information contained in this message,
and any attachments, may contain confidential and/or privileged
material. It is intended solely for the person(s) or entity to
which it is addressed. Any review, retransmission, dissemination,
or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by
persons or entities other than the intended recipient(s) is