haskell-cafe@haskell.org

re: [Haskell-cafe] Pure functional GUI (was "a regressive view of suppo

Subject: re: [Haskell-cafe] Pure functional GUI was "a regressive view of support for imperativeprogramming in Haskell"
From: "Peter Verswyvelen"
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 19:14:37 +0000
As a newbie (okay I will not write this again, you all know I'm a newbie by now
;-), I don't understood what the problem of a pure functional GUI is.

To me, having an imperative background, a graphical application is just a big
tree of data that evolves when events from the OS come in. (this data is NOT
per se the data for the GUI element; instead use the model-view-controller
design pattern) In Haskell, instead of mutating the data (as done in C/C++), a
infinite stream of this tree-data is generated responding to an infinite steam
of events, as in Paul's SOE book (the reactive stuff). Since most of the data
can be shared, the performance impact should be minimal.

So could you please tell me more about the problem with pure functional GUIs
and why this is not part of the Haskell library? I mean a GUI library
completely written in Haskell, not wrapping a popular library.

Thanks,
Peter