haskell-cafe@haskell.org

Re: Re[4]: [Haskell-cafe] Re: monad subexpressions

Subject: Re: Re[4]: [Haskell-cafe] Re: monad subexpressions
From: "Claus Reinke"
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2007 12:06:11 +0100
can you give translation you mean? i don't have anything against
combinators, they just need to be easy to use, don't forcing me to
think where i should put one, as i don't think with lazy code and C
imperative code. and they shouldn't clatter the code, too. just try to
write complex expression using C and these combinators

perhaps we're misunderstanding each other? if i define a monadic
assignment operator lifted over monadic lhs/rhs, i can already have
side-effecting lhs/rhs, including post-increments and content lookup.
that's what that example demonstrated, translating everything you
asked for. one can do the same with other operations, such as lifting numeric operations over monadic operands (though the current class hierarchy may require some ugly dummy class instances for that; also, non-overloaded Bool always requires some workaround). what is it that you think is missing?

claus