Re: [Haskell-cafe] Type system madness

Subject: Re: [Haskell-cafe] Type system madness
From: "Alex Queiroz"
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 16:53:20 -0300

On 7/10/07, Andrew Coppin <andrewcoppin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Last time I looked, everything treats "text" as being 8 bits per
character. (Or, more commonly, 7, and if the MSB isn't 0, weird things
happen...) That's why (for example) HTML has lots of weird constructs
such as "&hellip;" in it, instead of just typing in the actual character
you want. (And let's be clear here: SGML and all those decendents are
all using "<" and ">" - the mathematical greater and less operations -
when what they *really* mean are angle brackets, a quite distinct
glyph.) Last time I checked, nobody was keen on using 64 bits per

    You must look out more. I use ÃÃÃÃÃÃ in web pages all the time.

Haskell-Cafe mailing list