haskell-cafe@haskell.org

Re: [Haskell-cafe] Too many packages on hackage? :-)

Subject: Re: [Haskell-cafe] Too many packages on hackage? :-)
From: "Conrad Parker"
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 18:31:19 +0900
On 08/07/07, Neil Mitchell <ndmitchell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi

> Looks like there's too many packages on hackage.haskell.org now for a
> single page listing:
>
>     http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/pkg-list.html
>
> Perhaps we can have a page with just the categories, with subpages
> hanging off?

Please don't. With one large page I can search the entire page
quickly, and its only 6 printed pages long - I think most people here
will be used to a 12 page limit :-)

In the future once its all nicely searchable, tagged, etc. we might
consider presenting the information in a different way, but one single
page is still fine.

Also, the categorization doesn't quite correspond to, say, the library
hierarchy. For example, tagsoup is listed under Data, whereas it
exports modules under Text and could just as well be categorized under
Web. Similarly, xmonad is listed under System, but you might
reasonably expect to find it under User Interfaces (or Interfaces ...
those two seem to overlap ;-).

I agree with Don that the current page is getting a bit long, but I
also agree with Neil that it would be better to search/browse by tags
(or by exported modules) than to simply break it up using the current
categories. Perhaps I'm just overly agreeable.

So ... how would one go about   on hackage, setting up a local
installation for testing, submitting patches etc?

cheers,

Conrad.