haskell-cafe@haskell.org

Re: [Haskell-cafe] Darcs users [was: New book: Real-World Haskell!]

Subject: Re: [Haskell-cafe] Darcs users [was: New book: Real-World Haskell!]
From: Jon Harrop
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 07:38:05 +0100
On Wednesday 30 May 2007 06:58:36 Ketil Malde wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-05-29 at 14:05 -0500, Doug Kirk wrote:
> > I *want* people (and companies) to move to Haskell

As a complete noob considering making a commercial venture into Haskell, may I
ask what people's opinions are on this? Are there many Haskell products?

Our expertise is in scientific, numerical and graphical computing. Our product
catalog should elucidate this:

  http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/

I'd like to know how feasible it would be to rewrite some of these products in
Haskell. For example, our time-frequency add-on for Mathematica might sell a
lot better if it were a standalone cross-platform GUI application or even a
web application. Is it feasible to write such a thing in Haskell? Are any
core Haskell libraries non-free for commercial use?

Also, would anyone be interested in a Haskell for Scientists book, following
our OCaml for Scientists and forthcoming F# for Scientists books?

OCaml for Scientists
http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/ocaml_for_scientists/?e