gnu.emacs.sources

Re: ;;; anything.el --- open anything

Subject: Re: ;;; anything.el --- open anything
From: ""
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 02:56:04 -0700
Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.sources
On Aug 7, 8:55 am, Tassilo Horn <tass...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "spamfilteracco...@xxxxxxxxx" <spamfilteracco...@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> Hi Tamas,
>
> >> So it's an adaptive candidate sorter which learns which candidates
> >> you select frequently and makes them more accessible for you.
>
> > Currently, the history of selections is stored and used per source, so
> > for example a different entry is stored when something is selected
> > from the File Name History or Recentf and such stored entries are used
> > only when sorting File Name History or Recentf, respectively.
>
> > I vaguely remember there was some reason why I selected history
> > handling by source, but now I don't really know what's the advantage.
> > Shouldn't selection history be stored by type instead, so that for
> > example a selection from any file providing source would contribute to
> > the common knowledge of what files one selects most frequently?
>
> > What do you think?
>
> I think that would make sense.  But how would you go with sources that
> don't have a type field?

I plan to generalize source attributes, so that type would be a
fallback for those attributes which are not specified by the source.

So, for example, instead of using anything-candidate-transformers,
candidate transformation would be a simple source attribute which the
source could specify directly, or via its type.

So instead of

(setq anything-candidate-transformers
      '((file . some-func)))

it would either be

(setq anything-sources '((name . "Some Source")
                         (candidate-transformer . some-func)))

or

(setq anything-sources '((name . "Some Source")
                         (type . file)))

(setq anything-type-attributes
      '((file ((candidate-transformer . some-func)
              )))

And it would be the same for anything-candidate-transformers and
anything-action-transformers, so these would all be obsoleted.

That's of course impacts anything-config.el heavily, so I only want to
do it if you agree and when you have the time to work on it.

Naturally, everything will be backward compatible until the transition
is complete, so I won't remove the existing framework until then.

I plan to do it in incremental steps. The first step will be
generalizing anything-filtered-candidate-transformers. You don't use
it yet in anything-config.el, so that's the simplest, and it will help
to finalize the adaptive sorter.

When it's done then the rest can be done incrementally.

What do you think of this plan?