gnu.emacs.help

Re: what to do?

Subject: Re: what to do?
From: Barry Margolin
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 16:23:42 -0500
Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help

In article <mailman.10902.1258475018.2239.help-gnu-emacs@xxxxxxx>,
 Devin LaCrosse <themidnighthief@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> i just recently discovered emacs on my new macbook pro. I read the
> tutorial, i know how to navigate around emacs a bit. The one question
> that's eating me up inside I can't seem to find answer for. Perhaps
> you could help me? I very interested in computer science, emacs
> appears to be an awesome program, I don't know how to program (yet) I
> want to learn how. Can you please explain to me (as if i was 5 years
> old ) what do i use/do with emacs i.e, make video games, websites,
> math programs, please tell me!!!....Thanks in advance for i am excited
> to use this newly discovered program.

A computer program is like a recipe, or the instructions in a how-to
book.  When you learn to program, you'll learn a language that you can
use to write these instructions.  You use Emacs to write these
instructions to a text file.  Then you either use a program called a
compiler to translate this file into machine code that can be executed
by the computer directly, or an interpreter that reads the file and
performs the instructions on the fly.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Arlington, MA