Re: what to do?

Subject: Re: what to do?
From: Barry Margolin
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 16:23:42 -0500

In article <>,
 Devin LaCrosse <themidnighthief@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> i just recently discovered emacs on my new macbook pro. I read the
> tutorial, i know how to navigate around emacs a bit. The one question
> that's eating me up inside I can't seem to find answer for. Perhaps
> you could help me? I very interested in computer science, emacs
> appears to be an awesome program, I don't know how to program (yet) I
> want to learn how. Can you please explain to me (as if i was 5 years
> old ) what do i use/do with emacs i.e, make video games, websites,
> math programs, please tell me!!!....Thanks in advance for i am excited
> to use this newly discovered program.

A computer program is like a recipe, or the instructions in a how-to
book.  When you learn to program, you'll learn a language that you can
use to write these instructions.  You use Emacs to write these
instructions to a text file.  Then you either use a program called a
compiler to translate this file into machine code that can be executed
by the computer directly, or an interpreter that reads the file and
performs the instructions on the fly.

Barry Margolin, barmar@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Arlington, MA