gnu.emacs.help

Re: Can't paste from files with .arc extension

Subject: Re: Can't paste from files with .arc extension
From: Brian Adkins
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 08:18:56 -0800 PST
Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help

On Mar 7, 11:05 am, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Am 07.03.2008 um 16:32 schrieb Brian Adkins:
>
> > I think the source app is involved when pasting
>
> M-x describe-mode RET RET could reveal something. Also C-u C-x = on
> characters.

I've blown away my .emacs file temporarily for a clean test, and I get
identical results. I'm running "GNU Emacs 23.0.60.2".

The major mode is Fundamental and the results of describe-mode are:

"Enabled minor modes: Auto-Compression Blink-Cursor File-Name-Shadow
Font-Lock Global-Auto-Composition Global-Font-Lock Line-Number
Menu-Bar Mouse-Wheel Tool-Bar Tooltip Transient-Mark"

If I rename the file from temp.arc to temp.txt, the major mode is Text
and the describe-mode command shows:

"Enabled minor modes: Auto-Composition Auto-Compression Blink-Cursor
File-Name-Shadow Font-Lock Global-Auto-Composition Global-Font-Lock
Line-Number Menu-Bar Mouse-Wheel Tool-Bar Tooltip Transient-Mark"

Given that I'm running without a .emacs file, I would think this would
be easy to duplicate. Just load a text file with a .arc extension and
try and select test in emacs and middle-button paste in a non-emacs
window. When I do that, I get nothing.