gnu.emacs.help

Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman

Subject: Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman
From: Joost Kremers
Date: 7 Jan 2008 18:46:18 GMT
Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help

Ignoramus18728 wrote:
> On 2008-01-07, Joost Kremers <joostkremers@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> he may, using gnash <http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/>.
>
> How do you like this gnash, does it work very well?

i have it installed on my ibook G3 under linux (powerpc, for which there's
no adobe flash player), but i hardly use it. for simple flash stuff it
works ok (not perfect, but ok, although with high cpu load), but anything
that's a bit more complex than just a moving ad usually doesn't function
very well. youtube videos (or any other videos for that matter) don't work
for me at all.

however, i once read a review of gnash that was much more positive. the
writer said most flash stuff works, and he had little trouble watching
youtube videos. so perhaps it's my setup or a bad configuration or
something.

big disadvantage, IMHO: gnash requires the boost library, and that took
forever to compile. really. i've compiled firefox a couple of times in the
past, and i've compiled kernels on this ibook, and they didn't take as long
as boost did...

--
Joost Kremers                                      joostkremers@xxxxxxxxx
EN:SiS(9)