gnu.emacs.help

Re: "more", "ls -l", and column 80 in shell

Subject: Re: "more", "ls -l", and column 80 in shell
From: Tim X
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 16:48:41 +1000
Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
Barry Margolin <barmar@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> In article <1150411474.595005.130180@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>  "RjjdBae" <rjjd@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> "ls -l|more" in the shell window omits the <RET> if the <RET> falls on
>> column 80.
>> "ls -l" works fine.
>>
>> Any thoughts on how to get "more" to behave in the shell window?
>
> Why do you use "more" in a shell window?  "more" requires a video
> terminal (or emulator), and a shell window is not one of these.

I wonder why you would use it at all when you could just get a dired
listing - in fact, the main reason I stopped using M-x shell in favor
of M-x eshell was the great ease of running emacs commands from within
the eshell without the need to switch windows to execute dired or find
file etc.

Of course, if you really must use more, I guess M-x term would be a
better solution than M-x shell.

Tim
--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au