gaaaup@lighthouse.valdosta.edu

Re: [GAAAUP] core curriculum revisions

Subject: Re: [GAAAUP] core curriculum revisions
From: bettyhatcher
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 16:39:41 -0500
According to my understanding, per recent changes in the "core" courses for
teacher education programs in the USG institutions, the BOR administration
puts together a "committee" of faculty from several institutions to meet and
agree on changes.  This may be their nod to shared governance, perhaps some
hybrid or a mutation of shared governance.
I do not know much about the core changes or the process (I teach science
education).  Did faculty petition the BOR for a revision, or did it
originate from the BOR? Has this process begun because we lack uniformity in
the core across the USG institutions?  I thought we resolved that issue
years ago.
I would be interested in hearing more on this issue.  I agree it is an issue
on which AAUP should at least raise some discussion.

Betty Hatcher
President
AAUP Georgia Conference