fedora-extras-list@redhat.com

Re: pacakge classification and selection (was Re: New Comps Groups)

Subject: Re: pacakge classification and selection was Re: New Comps Groups
From: Toshio Kuratomi
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 15:42:32 -0800
On Tue, 2006-11-28 at 10:15 -0800, Christopher Stone wrote:
> On 11/28/06, Bill Nottingham <notting@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > So, in short, I think the comps push, while fitting in our current
> > infrastructure, isn't really solving the *right* problem. We need a
> > better interface... something like Amazon or freshmeat or <insert
> > handwaving>.
>
> I seem to recall some discussion a while back about replacing
> owners.list with a database, perhaps this could be the first step in
> this direction.  We could add keywords to each package which a user
> could search.

Currently, this is a later step rather than a first step.  The
conversion of owners.list has immediate application to the new
buildsystem and other infrastructure that we want to have ready for FC7
so it's getting priority.

If someone wants to code some proof of concept around this it's welcome,
though.  It doesn't even have to be integrated into the main packagedb
testing as the information can be merged at a later date.

-Toshio