fedora-extras-list@redhat.com

Re: compat packages

Subject: Re: compat packages
From: "Michael A. Peters"
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 11:50:04 -0700
On Tue, 2006-04-25 at 19:37 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:

> I think Extras is exactly the right place for them actually. They're not
> "Core" but many people would find them useful to have available. I still
> get lots of hits on the libcurl7112 package (for libcurl.so.2) in my
> personal repo, which might be a useful addition to Extras.
>
> Not sure about having devel subpackages of compat libraries though.

If it uses pkgconfig - there shouldn't be any problem of header file
confusion between different versions.

In some cases (libshout 1 vs 2) there is conflict in the devel packages
that would have to be carefully worked around, but with packages that
use pkgconfig - that shouldn't really be an issue.

Software that needs a compat version of one library might build just
fine against newer versions of other libraries - in which case, having
the devel package is useful because it would minimize the number of
compat shared libraries a package needs - if it was built on fc5 using
the devel package of the compat library that it does need the older
version of.