fedora-extras-list@redhat.com

Re: static libs ... again

Subject: Re: static libs ... again
From: Rex Dieter
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 10:25:03 -0600
Hans de Goede wrote:

But sometimes upstream doesn't, because they dont care about this for example, yet it would still be worth the trouble.

At the packagers discretion, sure, if they're willing to do the extra work, testing, troubleshooting.

I believe this needs more discussion we all seem to agree that static libs should be provided if possible,

???
There have been quite a few dissenters... including my own stance: static libs should in general be omitted, but allowing for exceptions(*)

(*) If there is good reason otherwise, and packager is willing.

-- Rex