fedora-devel-list@redhat.com

Re: Local users get to play root?

Subject: Re: Local users get to play root?
From: Jon Ciesla
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 12:15:13 -0600
Seth Vidal wrote:

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009, nodata wrote:

-sv

I do if it's in the default DVD install, or was pulled in in an
upgrade. I've never intentionally installed it, and yes I do. Never
imagined it would be a problem. I'll remove it.

Maybe you and I have a different concept of 'Servers'. But I tend to
install @core only and then remove items whenever I can for a server.

If it is a bad day I'll install X b/c something requires it but for
servers I try to avoid anything beside the barest minimal I can have.

-sv

Maybe you have a different concept of security, but I don't want any user on the server installing software, no matter what.

right - which is why I wouldn't install PK on a server.

yum doesn't allow users to install pkgs, only root.

-sv

I just found PackageKit on a server that's never been anything but. It was installed fith FC-2, which IIRC is pre-PackageKit. Does this mean it was pulled in by something else that no longer requires it?

--
in your fear, seek only peace
in your fear, seek only love

-d. bowie