fedora-devel-list@redhat.com

Re: RFC: Btrfs snapshots feature for F13

Subject: Re: RFC: Btrfs snapshots feature for F13
From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 02:48:50 -0500
On 11/17/2009 02:43 AM, nodata wrote:
Am 2009-11-17 01:55, schrieb Chris Ball:
Hi,

I've written up a draft of an F13 filesystem rollback feature using
Btrfs snapshots that are automatically created by yum:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SystemRollbackWithBtrfs

It'd be great to get feedback on whether this is the right idea, and
how exactly the UI interaction should work, before submitting this
formally.

Thanks!

- Chris.

So this will confuse things a lot if the user doesn't have only rpm
stuff on one partition, and everything else on another. This is
potentially a major risk. How would that be handled?

Mr. nodata,

As the URL notes under "Detailed Description," that is not handled at all. It wraps all file I/O, yum or not, into the snapshot.

A bloody awful solution, especially when you consider that btrfs' maintainer Chris Mason is adding support for real userland transactions (via some additional ioctls).

        Jeff