fedora-devel-list@redhat.com

Re: Local users get to play root?

Subject: Re: Local users get to play root?
From: Seth Vidal
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 14:23:29 -0500 EST

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009, Casey Dahlin wrote:

On 11/18/2009 02:10 PM, Seth Vidal wrote:

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:

2009/11/18 Casey Dahlin <cdahlin@xxxxxxxxxx>:
On 11/18/2009 01:22 PM, James Antill wrote:

3. Are there any attacks due to disk space used? Eg. If /var is low I
can probably install enough pkgs to make logging stop.

I'm betting there's still enough systems out there without enough
space in /usr for the entire package set.

That's kind of a silly exercise in what-ifs. The default anaconda
partition scheme is /boot, <swap>, and /. If someone wanted to fill up
the disk, they can just write to /tmp on a default install.

well - except for the 5% reserved for root :)

-sv

Which isn't safe from this since ultimately its root doing the install on the
unprivileged user's behalf.

which is why I said the user filling up /tmp couldn't fill up the whole disk..

-sv