Re: RFE: FireKit

Subject: Re: RFE: FireKit
From: Michael Cronenworth
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 17:01:38 -0500
Ahmed Kamal on 07/23/2009 04:54 PM wrote:
> Exactly the point, the user shares his desktop, or starts some service
> using the services GUI, and FireKit should offer to help. Moreover, this
> actually would improve desktop security, since without FireKit, a
> typical user after wasting half an hour, would understand it was the
> firewall blocking him, and would simply disable it for good. This
> happens on any OS. However, with FireKit, pro-actively offering to help
> the user, and requesting by default a limited time-window for opening
> the ports, actually ensures a better desktop security

The user should simply be prompted:

"Do you want "Vino Remote Desktop" to be allowed network access?"
(Yes or No)

That's if the port is not already open.

FireKit, or something like it, has been needed for a long time. The user
experience for everyone will be greatly improved. It's great you are
starting this initiative. I hope you are able to get something out of it.

> But of course python ;)

Great, so it'll be just as slow as all the other system administration

The folks involved with system-config-* may not notice it, but on
slightly older systems (say, P4 generation) the firewall tool or
services tool takes ages to start. Easily 30 seconds to a minute.

Thanks Python.

fedora-devel-list mailing list