fa.netbsd.tech.kern

Re: Problems with autoconf matching

Subject: Re: Problems with autoconf matching
From: "Julio M. Merino Vidal"
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2007 15:28:16 UTC
Newsgroups: fa.netbsd.tech.kern

On Sep 2, 2007, at 5:15 PM, Jachym Holecek wrote:

In the case of direct configuration, things are of course very
different:  the parent knows there is a device, and indeed wants the
best driver for it.

I'm not familiar with mac68k, but for the case where device configuration
is fixed for given machine model and where there's a limited number of
machine models, I think it's better to take the evbmips/evbppc approach.

That is, convert the bus from indirect config to direct-config and
config_found() devices based on some internal config table picked by
lowlevel code according to machine model (if you can tell machine
model at runtime this allows you to have GENERIC kernel).

Alternatively, make obio(4) properly indirect and come up with per- model
kernel config with all obio(4) devices wired down (but this only makes
sense in case where there may be arbitrary devices connected at obio (4)).

Hrm, I think I'm not going to worry. I have started to remove the code that is supposed to die and, when the new one works in all cases, I hope to do the replacement all at once (without having to keep two drivers for the same device).

Thanks though!  There's always interesting stuff to learn :-)

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@xxxxxxxxx>