ekiga-list@gnome.org

Re: [Ekiga-list] Thank you 3.2.6 and question about 1.3MP vs 2.0MP webca

Subject: Re: [Ekiga-list] Thank you 3.2.6 and question about 1.3MP vs 2.0MP webcam
From: Eugen Dedu
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 12:50:16 +0200
John Call wrote:
> Aloha,
>

> First, a moment to thank all of those who contribute their time and talents
> to the continued updates to this project.  Mahalo nui loa (Thank you).
>

> May I solicit commentary from the list members regarding 1.3MP vs 2.0MP
> webcams?  My university is beginning to roll out desktop video conferencing
> (not only internally, but to off-island locations as well).  Is there
> anything to be gained by spending an extra $50-$80 to upgrade from a 1.3
> megapixel camera (e.g. Microsoft LifeCam VX-5000) to a 2.0 megapixel camera
> (e.g. Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000)?

For the moment, max resolution in ekiga is about 640x480, so I suppose
1.3MP or 2MP should give the same results.  There were 1-2 attempts,
even patches (see mailing lists) to let ekiga use higher resolutions, up
to 2MP and with H264 if I remember correctly, and it seems it is not
difficult, however the work stopped there.

--
Eugen