Re: [Ekiga-list] how to bypass SIP server and call a computer directly?

Subject: Re: [Ekiga-list] how to bypass SIP server and call a computer directly?
From: "Rene Bartsch"
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 02:05:30 +0100 CET
> "michel memeteau" <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> I think putting [email protected] will work.
>
> Thanks for this information!
>
> Testing seems to indicate that [email protected], IPADDRESS,
> sip:[email protected], and sip:IPADDRESS all seem to work similarly.
>
> What is the rule here?  It seems that the â??sip:â?? prefix is the default
> and can be omitted.  What is used for the part to the left of the â[email protected]â??
> when it is omitted?

standard ports, you don't
need <port> (defaults to 5060). <host> is either domain or IP. Some soft- and
especially
hardphones demand for a <user> while others don't. The AVM Fritzbox is much
more special as it
only calls callees with a SRV record. But often <ip> only works.

But there's one special case in Ekiga. Alphanumeric addresses are interpreted
as "sip:" while
numeric-only addresses are interpreted as ENUM addresses.

Renne