Re: [Ekiga-list] output of "ekiga -d 4 > output.txt 2>&1" for failed cal

Subject: Re: [Ekiga-list] output of "ekiga -d 4 > output.txt 2>&1" for failed call attempt
From: Andre Robatino
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 14:07:22 -0500
Damien Sandras wrote:
Le samedi 20 dÃcembre 2008 Ã 10:28 -0500, Andre Robatino a Ãcrit :
Damien Sandras wrote:
Le jeudi 18 dÃcembre 2008 Ã 14:50 -0500, Andre Robatino a Ãcrit :
Attached is output.txt when my father attempts to call me. We are both using Fedora 10 with ekiga-3.0.1-4.fc10 from the Fedora repo. We have identical PCs, USB headsets, and webcams. He has a symmetric NAT router, and I have a port restricted NAT router. The call drops after a few seconds without audio or video ever being established. Each of us can make normal echo test calls.
With Symmetric NAT, it can not work. You really need to do something so
that it is not a Symmetric NAT. Perhaps port forwarding or something
else.

Are you also 100% sure your router does not support SIP ?
His router is a Motorola 2210-02-1006 which is what AT&T is providing now for new DSL customers. With Ekiga 2.0.12, it was initially detected as a symmetric NAT router, and he could call me, but I couldn't reach him. After putting in the port triggering rule, it was detected as a port restricted NAT router, and we could connect in both directions. Now, with Ekiga 3, we can't communicate in either direction (except for a brief connection without audio or video when he calls me). Nothing has changed except for Fedora 9 -> 10 and Ekiga 2 -> 3.
The reason is the symmetric NAT. However, I do not understand why the
NAT did not appear as symmetric with Ekiga 2.00. The STUN code did not
really change between 2.00 and 3.00 :(
It DID initially appear as symmetric NAT with Ekiga 2 (according to
Ekiga 2's Configuration Druid). Then, after setting up port triggering
in the router according to
http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Ekiga_behind_a_NAT_router#Symmetric_NAT:_Dynamic_navigation_of_NAT_routers

the Configuration Druid saw it as a port restricted NAT router. This is exactly the behavior described at
http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Ekiga_behind_a_NAT_router#SIP_only

so the behavior with Ekiga 2 is as expected, it's the behavior with Ekiga 3 that is confusing.