Re: [Ekiga-list] h263 in Debian lenny / bare number dial

Subject: Re: [Ekiga-list] h263 in Debian lenny / bare number dial
From: "Phil Reynolds"
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 14:42:45 +0000
Quoting "Eugen Dedu" <[email protected]>:

Hi,

Phil Reynolds wrote:
I am trying to get ekiga to work in Debian lenny, with the H263 codec, but when I build opal, H263 is not supported. I am currently backporting packages from experimental.
What do I need to do to get h263? Is there a better way to do this,
remaining otherwise on lenny?
You must install libavcodec-dev not from debian (h263 is not dfsg),
but from other site, for ex. http://debian-multimedia.org.
It seems that ptlib wants libdc1394-13-dev and libavcodec-dev installs
-22-dev - these are conflicting requirements that in turn cause there
to be no h263.
With ekiga 2.*, I could send sip:number to my Asterisk box and it would dial that number in the context. I have to put @fqdn on the end now for that to work - is there, or will there be, a way to fix this?
I think that this automatic completion was removed, in order to have
a proper address (think to e-mails: you put always the host address
too). However, it has now an autocompletion feature (Ã la firefox).
But you don't when mailing within the same system. Also, allowing a
bare number would make it more telephone-like. Not doing so will make
it difficult for another potential user here (not me).
--
Phil Reynolds
mail: [email protected]