edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Re: Is it just me, or is LTSP a mess?

Subject: Re: Is it just me, or is LTSP a mess?
From: "R. Scott Belford"
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 08:51:20 -1000
On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 8:15 AM, Asmo Koskinen <asmo.koskinen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

HP t5125, 5135.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/12454-12454-321959-338927-89307-472257.html
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/12454-12454-321959-338927-89307-3341342.html

Edubuntu has had an adverse and destructive effect on the adoption of Free and Open Source Software in schools.

I think Asmo is the only person who has had success with Ubunut/Edubuntu, and the brand new clients are a factor.  Many of us use older computers as thin clients.  The Ubu/Edu documentation has been inconsistent on what thin clients are supported.  I have not yet looked at the LTS.CONF file for Hardy, but it is likely a culprit in performance.

The question is what to do now.  Eric Harrison is not as active with the K12LTSP - and the K12LTSP is no more - it is becoming a Fedora Spin with RedHat sponsorship.  Warren Togami, fedora founder, is actively involved with this.  It is not ready for production, but bugs are being sought and squashed.

Debian-edu, aka Skolelinux, has a responsive mailing list, polite developers, and a community will to do good in a responsible way.  Perhaps Ubuntu would be wise to build on this element of the Debian community, too.

The Hardy problems existed in Feisty.  7.04 was the only acceptable thin-client server release.  *NOTHING* critical in 7.10 appears to have been addressed in 8.04 in spite of the heavy volume of traffic on this list.

Until someone upstream in the Ubu/Edu projects takes a pro-active and cooperative stance, Canonical will continue to abuse the good work of its education predecessors by falsely claiming to have a community-based solution without the community.

I still volunteer to run the lab that prompted Warren to start the Fedora project in Hawaii.  It was a thin client lab until we moved to 7.10.  This completely destroyed the school's taste for thin clients.  Now we use stand-alone workstations with central authentication.

--scott