ecrit@ietf.org

Re: [Ecrit] Phone BCP Draft Comments

Subject: Re: [Ecrit] Phone BCP Draft Comments
From: Henning Schulzrinne
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 10:44:01 -0400
Since this is highly dependent on the specific network, I don't think we can say anything useful. The VSP will figure this out, based on local needs and capabilities. For example, a Vonage-like VSP may initially simply insert the user-provided location, i.e., the address customers typed into a web form. A combined VSP/ISP could use some proprietary mechanism that only works with its particular brand of equipment. The Hogwart's VSP would probably use Professor Trelaney's crystal ball.

Unless there's an IETF protocol that we can tell somebody to implement, what useful information are we going to provide to the implementor and operator? Saying "only insert location information if you have it" isn't terribly helpful. But maybe you have a concrete proposal that the VSP should always use?

Henning

[trimming huge 10-deep quote]

On Jul 15, 2007, at 10:34 AM, Hannes Tschofenig wrote:

But we cannot leave this aspect open. We need to specify actions that the different parties have todo. As part of this description, the framework document makes it very clear that the end host obtains location information (*). The 3GPP has a different architecture for emergency services and that's fine.

We cannot just make such a vague statement that the VSP may add a reference to location information without explain the big picture.

Ciao
Hannes