ecrit@ietf.org

Re: [Ecrit] Re: Commments I.D-ecrit-service-urn-03 Child helpline

Subject: Re: [Ecrit] Re: Commments I.D-ecrit-service-urn-03 Child helpline
From: Henning Schulzrinne
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 13:27:45 -0400

Brian Rosen wrote:
Actually, I thought I was agreeing with you:
The basic idea is that all entities along the way can look up identifiers
and determine

Glad to hear that; sorry I misunderstood.

I thought that meant the LoST operation that did dialstring to service URN
for a location returned policy for that service at that location.

Indeed. The LoST operation would presumably return policy either when looking up the dial string or when determining the destination. In almost all cases, these will be the same scopes and lifetimes, but one could theoretically imagine that they have separate scope ("By Vermont state law, you don't have to provide location information when dialing 911". Obviously made up).

I was asserting that trying to get policy out of where in the service tree
you were was not a good idea, because Child Help may be an emergency (sos)
in some parts of the world and human services, not an emergency in others.
Whether it goes in service.sos or service.human shouldn't infer whether it's
an emergency or not.

We're indeed in full agreement on this point.

Henning