earlym-l@lists2.wu-wien.ac.at

[earlym-l] Re: To "HIP" or not to "HIP"

Subject: [earlym-l] Re: To "HIP" or not to "HIP"
From: John Howell
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 07:34:34 -0400
Newsgroups: rec.music.early
At 7:24 PM +0200 6/23/05, Sybrand Bakker wrote:

Haendel, according to Bukofzer Music in the Baroque Era, never wrote
down any embellishments he obviously intended.
He has a very nice example of the Aria of the GV, as Haendel would
have composed it.

What's GV?

One rather large difference between Handel and Bach is that Handel was working with top notch professional singers and Bach, at least in Leipzig, was working with students. Handel simply hired the singers who could and would do the embelishments he expected. In a study of Bach's St. John Passion I did in graduate school, I discovered that there was a very significant difference between the number of notated ornaments in soprano and alto arias and those in tenor and bass arias. Bach was giving the younger boys examples from which to learn. The older boys singing tenor and bass, presumably university students, would have more experience and be able to do their own ornamentation.

Or, if you prefer a different interpretation of the observed facts, Bach thought his tenors and basses should use less ornamentation!

John

--
John & Susie Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music