dev@directory.apache.org

Re: Some more speed improvement for basic operations

Subject: Re: Some more speed improvement for basic operations
From: Emmanuel Lecharny
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 08:14:52 +0200
On 6/8/10 1:18 AM, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
--On Tuesday, June 08, 2010 1:01 AM +0200 Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi guys,

today I finished to clean the rename() operation, and I just have the
three last operations remaining to be clean, ie move, moveAndRename and
compare.

In the meantime, I was able to avoid an Entry clone to be done, and this
has a huge impact on some operations. Here are the result I get with or
without the clone :

add    : 578/s(with) / 607/s (without) / +5%
lookup : 19 568/s(with) / 26 542/s (without) / +36%
search : 19 727/s(with) / 19 560/s (without) / ---
modify : 1 991/s(with) / 2103/s (without) / +5%
delete : 248/s(with) / 248/s (without) / ---

As we can see, the lookup is really faster with such a modif. The other
operations aren't that much impacted, the cost of writing on disk kills
the gain we could have.

One more thing : this is a test done with one single thread, directly on
top of the core-session.

However, it demonstrates that with enough cache, and a good network
layer, we should be able to get some good performances out of the server.

Exciting. :) One of these days soon, I'll have a slamd perf lab again (HW exists, waiting on installation), so I can draw up some numbers between OpenLDAP, ApacheDS, and maybe some others.

We still have a long way to go to get numbers that compares to what we can get with OpenLDAP :)

However, we know where to squeeze performance out of the parts that need it :
- the network ayer that may be sub-optimal at this point,
- definitively the backend, as we have some serious contention when working with more than one client.

Considering using the server embedded, ie without dealing with the network layer, I must say I like the performance we now get :)

However, we are still cleaning the house at the moment, considering that having a stable, robust and compliant server is more important than having good performances. Right now, the fnny part of the on going work is that while working on making some operation atomic (we had some issue on ModDN operations), we get a side benefit of having better performance by removing useless processing.

Thanks Quanah !

--
Regards,
Cordialement,