The April 2009 meeting of Washington DC Linux user group will take
place on Wednesday, April 15 at 7pm.
Peter Haggerty from Librato will give away five 1GB flash drives and present
clever user space techniques for process management. The Librato tools
provide various process management capabilities -- from monitoring both
actual and desired resource usage inside of a process to checkpointing
processes on one machine and resuming them on a different machine. None of
these techniques require anything more than setting a few environment
variables to preload a shared library. No recompiling, no relinking or no
Peter will discuss in detail a load management technology which guarantees
different resources levels to competing groups of processes on the same
operating system instance. Common examples of using this technology include:
1. dueling oracle databases where one instance gets 20% and the other 80%
of the CPU allocations
2. fencing in aggressive or poorly behaved grid workloads to prevent
The meeting location is our usual 2025 M street, NW in downtown DC.
There will be signs in front of the building. The location is within 3
nearby Metro stops, both on the red (Dupont, Farragut North) and
blue/orange (Farragut West, Foggy Bottom [a bit of a hike]) lines.
Parking in the area is available for approximately $5; there's even
parking in the building itself. Street parking is free after 6:30pm,
but scarce. There's a parking lot at 23rd St. between M and L that is
not enforced after 7pm (people have successfully parked there for
years---no one we know was ticketed or towed yet, but it could happen).
The meeting dates for 2009 are: May 20, Jun 17, Jul 15, Aug 19, Sep 16, Oct
21, Nov 18 and Dec 16.
For other details, see our home page
Dclug mailing list