dclug@calypso.tux.org

Re: [Dclug] [Ma-linux] "Time"

Subject: Re: [Dclug] [Ma-linux] "Time"
From: Alan McConnell
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 14:58:45 -0400
On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 12:29:44PM -0400, John Jasen wrote:

> The NTP people will tell you that running ntpd as a daemon is better for
> your health and promotes good posture.
        <G>  Maybe I should try it?  I slump sometimes . . .

> time, versus the 'one big leap' approach of ntpdate. This can cause
> funny behavior, including daemons to die, when they detect large time
> jumps (dovecot comes to mind). I've also seen 'one big leap' break
> software compiles that were in flight during the leap.
        I know not dovecot.  And I compile so rarely these days . . .

> it. So, I cooked up very bad things with ntpd -qgx that leapt time,
> restarted dovecot, and tried to fix a few other things.
>
> Of course, then I found the root cause of all my woes!
        You started sitting up straighter?

> > (and now actually my call to hwclock fails on my  etch   machine!)
>
> What happens with you run it manually?
        OK, probably you can help!  There is a pause of about five
        seconds maybe longer, and the following erro message is returned:
                select() to /dev/rtc to wait for clock tick timed out

Erect Alan (sitting, that is!<G>)

--
Alan McConnell :  http://patriot.net/users/alan
    There are many good Impeachment sites; one of the best is: