dc.urban-planning

Rescue Team Personnel call N.O. residents "Cockroaches"

Subject: Rescue Team Personnel call N.O. residents "Cockroaches"
From: Robinsons
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 18:12:39 -0400
Newsgroups: dc.general, dc.urban-planning, misc.transport.urban-transit, alt.planning.urban
Forwarded from the Populist Party of Maryland mailing list:

> "No photos. No stories," said the man, wearing
> camouflage fatigues and a red beret.
>
> Recovery team members wearing white protective suits
> and black boots stopped at houses with spray painted
> markings on the doors designating there were dead
> bodies inside.
>
> Dean Nugent, of the Louisiana State Coroner's
> Department, who accompanied the soldier, added that
> it wasn't safe to be in Bywater. "They'll kill you
> out here," he said, referring to the few residents
> who have continued to defy mandatory evacuation orders
> and remain in their homes.
>
> "The cockroaches come out at night," he said of the
> residents. "This is one of the worst places in the
> country. You should not be here. Especially you,"
> he told a female reporter.
>
> Nugent, who is white, acknowledged he wasn't
> personally familiar with the poor, black
> neighborhood, saying he only knew of it by reputation.
>
> After the recovery team took away the St. Anthony
> Street body, two workers urinated on the side of a
> neighbor's house.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/09/13/MNG3HEMQHG1.DTL

This dovetails with the malign neglect / false imprisonment
alleged at the FEMA relocation camps in rural Oklahoma and Arkansas.

"There will be no milk, ma'am... it could cause a riot.
You don't know what kind of people we are dealing with here..."

Texas Gov. Rick Perry spoke at two private events this week where a
Texas minister wondered if God sent Hurricane Katrina to purify the
nation of sins, including homosexuality.

The GOP leader didn't object at the gatherings in San Antonio and
Houston on Thursday.

Gubernatorial spokesman Robert Black, contacted Friday, said:

"The governor does not agree with that.
 But far be it for the governor to try to divine the will of the Almighty."