comp.os.ms-windows.video

Dawn Of Internet Video, REVENGE of Time Warner Cable!

Subject: Dawn Of Internet Video, REVENGE of Time Warner Cable!
From: Derek Currie
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 09:25:10 -0500
Newsgroups: alt.video.dvd.complain, alt.video.dvdr, alt.video.satellite, alt.video.tv-sets, alt.videos, comp.os.ms-windows.video, microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video, rec.music.video, rec.video, rec.video.cable-tv, rec.video.desktop
Welcome to the new age of Internet video downloading and
streaming!

The arrival of this new age was heralded by the fact that Apple's
iTunes Store now sells more videos than there are sales of either
Blu-ray DVDs or HD-DVDs. (BTW: I predict HD-DVD will be stone
cold dead by the end of 2008).

As of this week you can now even RENT high definition quality
(720p) video over the Internet via the Apple iTunes Store.

So get this:

Time Warner Cable has decided to WREAK REVENGE!

As reported by the New York Times on Thursday:

Time Warner: Download Too Much and You Might Pay $30 a Movie
By SAUL HANSELL
January 17, 2008,  4:47 pm

<http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/17/time-warner-download-too
-much-and-you-might-pay-30-a-movie/index.html?ex=1201323600&en=d25
14f2955800d0d&ei=5043&partner=EXCITE>

> Let¹s say you buy a new Apple TV because you want to rent high-definition
> movies. And say you are about to move to Beaumont, Tex. If so, you might wind
> up paying Time Warner Cable as much as $30 when you download a movie using
> its high-speed Internet service.
>
> Time Warner said on Wednesday that it was going to start testing a new rate
> plan in Beaumont that would limit the amount of bandwidth each customer can
> use each month before additional fees kick in. Alexander Dudley, a Time
> Warner spokesman, said that the exact terms had not been set, but that
> packages would probably offer between 5 gigabytes and 40 gigabytes a month.
> The top plan would cost roughly the same as the company¹s highest-speed
> service, which typically runs between $50 and $60 a month.

Obviously this is a test LEAD BALLOON being let loose in poor
little old Texas in order to see if they can pull a con-job on
the entire USA.

From the article:
        autolearn=no version=3.2.5

> Moreover, the marginal cost of extra bandwidth is very small, he said. For
> broadband Internet service, 80 percent to 90 percent of the costs are fixed
> regardless of use. And the all-in cost of a gigabyte of use is about 10 cents
> or less.

Again, it costs Time Warner 10¢ for every GB you download.
Therefore, they intend to charge you something similar to what
Bell Canada already perpetrate upon their customers: $7.42 per GB
when you go beyond the LIMIT of your purchased monthly download
plan. The plans are expected to have a peak allowed download
bandwidth per month of 40 GB per month.

You can go into shock now.

Now listen to the insincere, insulting, scurrilous, arrogant,
patronizing... (you get the idea), marketing moron SPIN Time
Warner Cable are puking forth upon their customers about this
swindle:

Alexander Dudley of Time Warner sez:
> ³This is not targeted at people who download movies from Apple....
> This is aimed at people who use peer-to-peer networks and download
> terabytes.²
>
> . . .
>
> ³A big part of what we are doing is to test customer feedback.... We want our
> customers to feel like they are getting a good value.²

GOOD VALUE? WTF? HAHAHAHAHAHA!

10¢ worth of downloads = $7.42 (guestimate) of EXTRA charges from
Time Warner Cable.

Yeah right. I'll bend over for that, NOT.

Fine, Time Warner want to gouge you hard and deep for using extra
bandwidth. But what ELSE is going on here?

A) Time Warner, and other company's, attempts at destroying NET
NEUTRALITY have totally failed. They want REVENGE.

B) Digital downloading of media over the Internet is taking away
customers from Time Warner's digital cable TV feed business. They
want REVENGE.

It's called ANTI-COMPETITIVE BEHAVIOR. You know, like what
Microsoft always does when they run over competitors like a steam
roller?

Fact: When you remove competition from business endeavors you
eliminate the incentive to INNOVATE. Again, think of Microsoft.

RESULT: Time Warner Cable want to throw us into the Internet DARK
AGES for the purpose of their own profit. This is one company
attempting to pillage an entire Internet industry because they
don't happen to like how it affects their business.

It's called MONOPOLY behavior. It's called ILLEGAL.

*** How to tell Time Warner to stuff their greed ridden revenge
tactic:

Call, Fax, write or email Time Warner Cable letting them know
that if they pull this con-job on you in YOUR part of the USA
then you will respond by DUMPING their service for a superior
alternative, DAMMIT.

A) The players to contact:

1) Glenn A. Britt, President and CEO of TWC:
<http://www.timewarnercable.com/corporate/aboutus/executivemanagem
entteam/gb.html>

2) Landel C. Hobbs, Chief Operating Officer:
<http://www.timewarnercable.com/corporate/aboutus/executivemanagem
entteam/lh.html>

3) Robert D. Marcus, Senior Executive Vice President:
<http://www.timewarnercable.com/corporate/aboutus/executivemanagem
entteam/rm.html>

4) Joan Gillman, Executive Vice President and President, Time
Warner Cable Media Sales
<http://www.timewarnercable.com/corporate/aboutus/management.html>

5) Same Howe, Executive Vice President & Chief Marketing Officer
<http://www.timewarnercable.com/corporate/aboutus/management.html>

6) Regional Executive Vice Presidents of Operations:

   a) Wayne D. Knighton, Texas Region (aka Chief of this con-job
test)

   b) Terry O'Connell, Midwest Region

   c) Barry S. Rosenblum, New York City and Southern California
Region

   d) Carol A. Hevey, Carolina Region

   e) William R. Goetz Jr., West and New England Region

<http://www.timewarnercable.com/corporate/aboutus/management.html>

Other members of Executive Management are listed at the same URL
above.

7) Board of Directors:
<http://ir.timewarnercable.com/directors.cfm>

B) HOW TO CONTACT TIME WARNER CABLE:

1) Shareholder Services / Investor Relations (if you own stock in
Time Warner):
<http://ir.timewarnercable.com/contactus.cfm>

877-4-INFO-TWC

[email protected]

2) Time Warner Cable corporate address, where you can write to
ANY of the Executive Officers or the Board of Directors:

Time Warner Cable
[C/O Whomever]
290 Harbor Drive
Stamford, CT 06902-8700
203-328-0600

3) Look up and contact your local Customer Service:
<http://www.timewarnercable.com/Corporate/CustomerService/>

* Example:

You are one of the victims living in Beaumont, Texas. Your zip
code may be 77701. Go to the Customer Service lookup page:
<http://www.timewarnercable.com/Localization/Corporate.ashx?tid=21

Enter your Zip Code: 77701, hit Enter or the GO button.
You are taken to the site for the Golden Triangle region of TWC.
<http://www.timewarnercable.com/GoldenTriangle/>

The web page for this particular region (don't expect the same
interface at each region) requires you to hit the link at the top
for 'Customer Service' where you can pick "Contact Us".

Scroll down that page and you will find:

Main Office: 800-222-5355
Hours: M-F 8 AM - 9 PM

TWC Local Offices:

Time Warner Cable
602 N. Highway 69
Nederland, TX 77627
Fax: 409-727-5050

Time Warner Cable
5330 Twin City Highway
Port Arthur, TX 77640
M-F: 8 am - 5:30 pm

If we don't act on this crime against the Internet then it will
SPREAD. Time Warner Cable will pull this con-job across the
entire USA. And obviously the same con-job will SPREAD to other
companies such as Comcast. Result: The Internet Video/TV industry
comes to a crashing halt. Time Warner Cable and the other cable
monopolies stop stamping their little feet in anger. Instead they
get to sit back and rake in ill-gotten gains from customers who
are forced to get their digital media from their cable TV service.

Keep the Internet SANE, NEUTRAL and FREE OF CRIMINAL CORPORATIONS!

Contact Time Warner Cable ASAP please and stop this revenge
tactic dead in its tracks before we all suffer the consequences.

Share and Enjoy,

:-Derek Currie

--
Fortune Magazine 11-29-05: What's your computer setup today?
Frederick Brooks: I happily use a Macintosh. It's not been