comp.os.ms-windows.video

Blurry display on XP

Subject: Blurry display on XP
From: "Tom Hill"
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 07:37:30 -0400
Newsgroups: comp.os.ms-windows.video, comp.windows, comp.windows.misc
After reformatting the hard drive on my Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop and
installing a freshly purchased copy of Windows XP Pro Upgrade, I find the
LCD screen display has become blurry.
The characters on the screen are darker, thicker and fuzzier than before.
The blurriness got better after I made sure all the correct video drivers
had been installed, and I downloaded the latest version of the DirectX
driver (9.0c) and added all the current Windows Update updates.
I then spent an  hour on the phone with Dell checking everything else, a
conversation that ended with an invitation to send the portable to Dell for
further troubleshooting.
Thanks, but no thanks - I need this machine now.
This has to be a software problem - that's all I changed. Any ideas?