comp.os.ms-windows.video

.avi and .mpg files won't play

Subject: .avi and .mpg files won't play
Date: 7 Apr 2005 16:17:33 -0700
Newsgroups: comp.os.ms-windows.video
For the past few months, I have been downloading anime episodes, and
they hadbeen playing fine up until a little while ago, when .avi and
.mpg files just quit opening. Windows Media Player display the error
"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not
support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to
compress the file."

But the problem is not just with Windows Media, the files won't play on
Winamp, Realplayer, or Quicktime, either. All my codecs and drivers are
up-to-date. I have no idea what changed, but the bottom line is that
the files just won't play anymore.

Thanks for any help.