comp.os.ms-windows.video

Radeon X300 / Intel Extreme 915G

Subject: Radeon X300 / Intel Extreme 915G
From: Rob J
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 18:49:05 +1200
Newsgroups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati, comp.os.ms-windows.video, comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video, nz.comp
I'm buying a system with the Intel 915G chipset. We need dual display so
we are getting a Radeon X300 with the PCI Express interface.

The Intel Bios only lets the accessory card be used as the primary
display adapter. At this stage I am presuming that the X300 will be dual
display so that it will show primary and secondary displays, and the
Intel onboard adapter will appear as the tertiary display, since it can't
be disabled.

The secondary display in this system will need to be overlay capable as
we want to be able to do stuff like DVD playback with subtitles and this
requires overlay support.

There appear to be two options

1. Use the X300 secondary for the secondary display. However my previous
experience with Radeons has been that the overlay is only enabled on the
primary display output.

2. Disable the X300's secondary output and use the Intel 915G output as
the secondary - assuming it supports overlay.

Any ideas there?