comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows

Re: 550 5.7.1 Authentication Required Error (Verizon DSL)

Subject: Re: 550 5.7.1 Authentication Required Error Verizon DSL
From: "John H Meyers"
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 16:21:02 -0600
Newsgroups: comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 09:04:19 -0600, Frank wrote:

> As noted earlier, this just came out of the blue. No settings were
> changed that I know of. I can't send anything, but mail is received
> just fine.

> Mozilla Thunderbird has no problems sending.

In Thunderbird, for the Verizon SMTP server that you are actually using,
what are these settings:

Server name: ?
Port: ?
Use secure connection: [which choice?]
Use name and password [is it checked?]

Now look at the "Properties" of the personality in Eudora
which you are using to send mail (right-click the personality icon
in the "Personalities" tool window to get to the "properties").

Is the SMTP server name the same?

Is the "secure connection" choice made in Thunderbird
the same as the "Secure Sockets when Sending" choice in Eudora?
(it's the same four choices, and same default port for each)

Does Verizon use port 587?
Does this match your "Use...587" choice in Eudora?

Is "Allow authentication" check-marked in Eudora? (should be)

Is the user name associated with your Eudora personality
(the one sending mail) the exact same user name you gave to Thunderbird?