comp.lang.ruby

Re: Ruby 1.9, OS X, command line: negative string size (ArgumentError)

Subject: Re: Ruby 1.9, OS X, command line: negative string size ArgumentError
From: Bartlomiej Owczarek
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 17:37:33 -0500
Newsgroups: comp.lang.ruby

[Note:  parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 12:09 AM, Eric Jacoboni <jaco@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> What about you environment? encoding, lang, etc. ?

Ok I found it

$ export
--cut--
declare -x LC_CTYPE="UTF-8"

$ export -n LC_CTYPE

$ ruby -e "puts 'hello world'"
hello world

Deleting LC_CTYPE did it.

That said I understand that this LC_CTYPE setting was there for a reason,
presumably because my terminal is set to utf8, as it's supposed to be.

So it's not clear for me why ruby would now have problem with that, and how
to proceed - should the setting for utf8 be defined somehow differently?