comp.emacs

Re: C-style bracket-matching for lisp code?

Subject: Re: C-style bracket-matching for lisp code?
From: Adrian Aichner
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 00:29:31 +0200
Newsgroups: comp.emacs
[email protected] writes:

> This may seem blasphemous to old-school lisp hackers, but I would like
> to set up my emacs to auto-indent my lisp brackets like C, for example
>
> (defmethod cat meow ()
> __(let ((xs ys))
> ___(each ((x xs))
> _____;comments should line up with the line below them
> _____(print x)
> ___)
> __)
> )
>
> ... ie so the closing brackets line up with their opening partners.
> (Coming to lisp from C and Java this makes a lot more sense to me than
> the emacs default style)

Only if you're using the notepad editor with a mono-spaced font.

This should be an eye-opener:
(info "(xemacs)Lists")
or alternatively this (internet cafe version):
http://www.xemacs.org/Documentation/21.5/html/xemacs_24.html#SEC227

> I'm not yet an expert on writing emacs modes (though my lisp is ok) --
> does anyone have something I could put in my .emacs file to do this; or
> failing that, some tips on how to write it?
>
> (in case you're wondering, I'm using the Lush dialect of Lisp.)

You must be leading a lush life.

--
Adrian Aichner
 mailto:[email protected]