c-dev@xerces.apache.org

Re: Sample compile on Windows VC7.1 link error

Subject: Re: Sample compile on Windows VC7.1 link error
From: Alberto Massari
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 16:54:52 +0100
Hi Andrew,

At 09.28 14/02/2007 +0000, Andrew Wilson wrote:
I'm trying to get xerces started under Visual C++ 7.1 and get a small
sample working.

I've downloaded both the source and the samples and they compile and
run no problem.

I then copy the folder for one of the samples (CreateDomDocument) and
place it elsewhere, outside the xerces folder so that I can get the
environment settings right, but I can't get it to compile. It fails
at linking with 5 unresolved external symbols (4
xercesc_2_7::XMLString and one xercesc_2_7::XMLException).

I have copied the 4 lib files (xerces-???.dll) both into the Visual
Studio bin directory and into the new CreateDomDocument folder next
to the source files.

I would rather copy the Xerces .dll in the directory where the sample .exe will be placed; the Visual Studio bin directory is not guaranteed to be in the PATH.

Under Tool > Options > Projects > VC++ Directories I have set the
directory options for Include files and Library to point into the
original xerces source downloads, to \src and \lib respectively.

If you built Xerces from sources, the proper lib directory are builds\win32\vc7.1\debug and builds\win32\vc7.1\release

Alberto

Since I am using the sample's original solution (.sln) file, I've
changed nothing in there.

The Building on Windows instructions on the xerces-c website give no
other clues. Can someone please advise what I'm missing?

Andrew