c++-sig@python.org

[C++-sig] Reducing size of binary

Subject: [C++-sig] Reducing size of binary
From: "Will Lee"
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 09:29:58 -0500
Hi,

I'm currently using Boost Python in a fairly large project using Linux and g++.  The combined .so code that I tried to wrap is around 9MB (-O with no symbol).  I got to a point where the python wrapper binary gets pretty big (sometimes the wrapper debug .so with symbols can get to 350 MB and the -O version without symobls would be around 18 MB).  Compile time can get up to 15-20 minutes.  As far as I see, I'm not doing anything too extraordinary.  I am using a lot of add_property and def methods in the wrapper code.

Does anyone have hints on reducing the size of the wrapper binary?

Thanks,

Will