c++-sig@python.org

Re: [C++-sig] How to implement a cross-module C-API

Subject: Re: [C++-sig] How to implement a cross-module C-API
From: Thomas Schipolowski
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 19:20:38 +0200
Hello Stefan,

thank you for the quick response.

I'm not quite
sure I would embedd these vtbls into the objects you are wrapping, as that
is a bit invasive.
Uhm, I am not sure if this is what I meant to do. I intended to take the route suggested by the std. Python extending tutorial: http://docs.python.org/ext/using-cobjects.html So I want to put the whole table of API function ptrs in just one of these Python-API CObjects, to get the addresses across the C++/Python/C borders. This would leave the C++ objects which I intend to access with my API untouched. They would even be oblivious to the existence of the C-API, as the functions will only access the objects using their normal public interface.

But, yes, the CObject itself would be wrapped in order to get it out to python. I thought of something like:

static void* call_table[MY_API_PTRS];
.... put function pointers in table ...

object get_c_api() {
    return object(handle<>(PyCObject_FromVoidPtr((void*)call_table, NULL)));
}

Then I would export 'get_c_api' with the normal boost::python facilities. In the plain C part, I would call get_c_api via python, extract the void* ptr from the PyCObject* and cast it into the array of function pointers, whose prototypes are known thanks to a header file that describes the fixed layout of call_table.

Instead, you may create a dictionary that maps python
type objects to the structures holding your vtbl and provide a simple
lookup mechanism that queries the PyTypeObject pointer from a given python
object and look up the C vtbl with that.

Ok, this would be a nice way to associate the functions with the corresponding objects. But still I need to use PyCObject_FromVoidPtr or something equivalent to be able to put the opaque C pointers, or the ptr to the vtable, into a python dict, do I? But don't worry, I will need only one vtable with a static structure for my few API functions. So it boils down to the problem of getting a single address safely from the C++ part to the C part. Each function will check with extract<expected_class>(...).check()  to make sure it is called with the C++ object type it is intended for.

Hope it still makes sense.
Regards,
Thomas.