batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org

Re: Batik/Svg for web

Subject: Re: Batik/Svg for web
From: "Andreas Neumann"
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 10:29:10 +0200 CEST
What you want is certainly possible in SVG. If you do SVG only, it would
also run in Batik, but note that Batik Squiggle is a SVG viewer, not a
web-browser that also supports html or other web features.

As an example, see http://www.carto.net/williams/yosemite/index.svg which
runs in all browsers (IE needs a SVG plugin) and Apache Batik. So
interactivity and data-loading with getURL/postURL/XMLHttpRequest is
certainly possible with SVG.

We can't give you step by step instructions for your project of course -
since you aren't very concrete with what you want to do. Also, learning
SVG is your job. But you may find a few examples/tutorials at
http://www.carto.net/papers/svg/samples/ - most of the examples also run
in Batik. The ones that don't work in Batik are poorly written (old,
non-standard code) and not the fault of Batik. At this page you may also
find a couple of widgets written in SVG and ECMAScript.

Hope this helps for a start,
Andreas

> Hi All,
> I have to develop a web based app where I should be able to generate
> dynamic
> graphical content based on the user's input. I am using JSP pages  on the
> front  end. I found SVG to be the best thing available. After
> experimenting
> in inline SVG I found out that it lacks many features like user
> interaction,
> zoomability, javascript onclick features etc. And inline was easy to put
> in
> a jsp page. But I want a more robust and full featured output. But I am
> not
> able to implement the pure SVG. Could some body help me providing me all
> the
> steps required to make things work? Also I have heard about BATIK which is
> Apache's implementation of SVG, but I am not sure it can be used for web
> based apps or not.
> If somebody knows please enlighten me about the step by step procedure for
> doing that.
> thanks
> --

Andreas Neumann
Böschacherstrasse 6, CH-8624 Grüt/Gossau, Switzerland
Email: a.neumann@xxxxxxxxx, Web:
* http://www.carto.net/ (Carto and SVG resources)
* http://www.carto.net/neumann/ (personal page)
* http://www.svgopen.org/ (SVG Open Conference)