[apnic-talk] Re: Election Reforms

Subject: [apnic-talk] Re: Election Reforms
From: Randy Whitney
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 12:32:04 -0400
On 6/9/2010 11:15 AM, Andy Davidson wrote:

> On 9 Jun 2010, at 16:11, Randy Whitney wrote:
>
>>> 2. “no proportionate voting”
>> Disagree. I would further assert that Naresh is incorrect in his
>> understanding of voting in the other RIRs. Within the RIPE community for
>> example, many companies represented in voting have multiple votes, some
>> more than 20. This means that of the five RIRs, _THREE_ have what is
>> being refer to as "proportionate voting". That represents the majority.
>
> Hi,
>
> Only if they operate multiple registries/NCC memberships. e.g.
> different business units (MyCompany UK, MyCompany FR, etc.) may operate
> different LIRs, they pay their own sums, they get their own vote. Each
> LIR though has a single vote.
>
> A single organisation with multiple memberships is very much the
> exception, not the rule.
>
> Sticking my neck out here as a casual observer, hope this is not too
> rude - but I think the one member, one vote system is fairest.
>
> Andy

Hello Andy:

Your clarification regarding how Companies obtain multiple votes through
RIPE doesn't really change my point, though. Larger companies organized
around national or other business-unit boundaries generally have
justifiable reasons to maintain separate LIRs and as a result end up
controlling a larger number of votes. As a result those companies can
better protect their national and regional interests.

I would assert that having some amount of proportionality actually helps
keep the playing field level and fair. The analogy often used to
describe a purely democratic system is "three wolves and one sheep
deciding on what's for dinner". Eliminating the size element completely
means that a much larger sheep cannot use its size to defend itself
against three tiny wolves.

Best Regards,
Randy Whitney