Re: [apnic-talk] Report on traffic directed to 1.0.0.0/8

Subject: Re: [apnic-talk] Report on traffic directed to 1.0.0.0/8
From: Gihan Dias
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 07:58:59 +0530
On 09-04-2010 07:45, Terry Manderson wrote:
> Generally you have an issue of volume, ie getting enough people to try to
> connect to that web/whatever server.
>
> One idea I thought about was to use the 'zero byte image with java' approach
> to load a "test" into people's browsers which makes that web attempt to a 1/8
> address and reports the findings via a subsequent 'get' to a known accessible
> site

Terry,

I was thinking of the opposite approach, i.e. set up a web crawler /
outbound e-mail server or some other client on a 1.x.y.z address and
then connect to many known web/mail/whatever servers. See what
connections are successful and compare with connections from a control
address.

This way we can see how much (un)reachability someone getting a 1.
address would have. I suspect it would be significant.

Regards,

Gihan