Re: [apnic-talk] [AusNOG] [pacnog] RIPE NCC Position On The ITU IPv6 Gro

Subject: Re: [apnic-talk] [AusNOG] [pacnog] RIPE NCC Position On The ITU IPv6 Group
From: Geoff Huston
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 08:42:58 +1100
On 27/02/2010, at 6:51 PM, [email protected] wrote:

> Some folks just likeshooting down other organisations and missinmg the issues
>
> Can the contribution be more on the issues otherwise take it elsewhere
>
> Keep the minds open as there are some real valid and serious issues here.
>
> So to start with,you can contribute on the issues raised or why the study is
> needed?
>
> One of the commonly supported ideals is having competition.
>
> Is this an issue if organised well?
>
> How about security.. Can we all live it to system?
>
> I would really like to hear good strong arguments for both sides

Hi Fred,

in address distribution, Paul Wilson and I wrote the following some years back:
http://www.potaroo.net/ispcol/2005-04/compete.html

I believe that you will find that this article directly addresses the issues
relating to the potential effects of competing address distribution systems
within the same protocol set. I note that nothing has changed in the
intervening period.

At the time I also wrote a broader look at the motivations of the ITU in this
space, and you can find that at:
http://www.potaroo.net/ispcol/2004-11/2004-11-isp.htm

The ITU evolved over the 20th century to match the needs and desires of its
constituents and as many, if not all, national regimes addressed the social
needs for broad access to a single functional telephone network via national
monopolies , the ITU assumed, in effect, the role of being the monopolists
club. Since many of these monopolies were publically owned and operated
enterprises the role of governments and the role of the monopoly actors were
closely aligned. There were some chinks in this approach, chiefly relating to
the use of inter-provider (all, to call it by its real name at the time
"inter-government") payments for the increasingly lucrative area of
international communications, and the opposition was mainly from the US, but on
the whole the ITU was tolerated given the lack of any viable alternative.

The Internet was not an isolated technological innovation - it rode upon the
back of progressive deregulation of the telecommunications sector in the late
20th century. The Internet players have been firmly rooted in a vibrantly
competitive and largely deregulated private sector, and the ITU has been
supremely irrelevant to their business models. But the ITU still has a set of
folk who feel that their interests are best articulated by this august body,
even if their individual interests are possibly as simple as preserving their
rather comfortable lifestyle in Geneva while living on permanent travel
allowance! I must admit, however, that I find it ironic that the latest efforts
by the ITU to regain some degree of relevance in this shifted world order of
the largely deregulated competitive telecommunications environment that we live
in today, have the ITU invoking the mantra of "competition!" From the supreme
head of the former monopolist club that indeed is an ironic, and eco
 nomically and politically speaking a naive and inept move on the part of the
ITU, in my view.

So I agree with you Fred in the assertion that these are indeed significant
issues - to quote from the closing para of the second document I've referenced:

"It is unlikely that James Watt would've looked at the governor he had invented
for the steam engine and foreseen the fundamental way that the ensuing
industrial revolution would change the lives of every human on the planet over
the ensuing centuries. His was a simple problem of technology.

At its outset the Internet was also a simple problem of technology. Today it is
no longer just a question of technology, but also a more fundamental question
of entering a process of social change, as we embrace a world of information,
where the economic forces appear to be related to the capability of acquiring
and exploiting information."

   Regards,

      Geoff Huston

      Usual Disclaimers - these are all my views.