Re: [apnic-talk] [Apnic-announce] AfriNIC Moving Closer to Final Recogni

Subject: Re: [apnic-talk] [Apnic-announce] AfriNIC Moving Closer to Final Recognition as an RIR
From: Joshua Brady
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 20:32:02 -0500
On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 17:44:13 -0800, Jeff Williams
<[email protected]> wrote:
> All,

Jeff,

>   Well there went the neiberhood!  Bad decision here.  Given the amount
> of UCE spam coming from Africa and in particular IP addresses from
> african nations, it would be obvious that AFriNIC is not ready for
> prime time yet...

So should we yank APNIC and ARIN since 80% of the spam comes from the
US/Canada and Asia? How about RIPE? I am sure they get a good bundle
of UCE out of europe, paticularly russia?

You offer many complaints, yet no solutions. Maybe you could provide
some and encourage the NRO to take a stance on spam. Sure it would be
nice to have an RIR pressure the poc, but how many handles (org and
poc) are invalid at this very moment, how many have legal teams large
enough to repopulate china? If you don't support AfNIC based on "some
africans are spammers" then, feel free to step in and put filters in
place to ignore every single ip they are issued. But I for one will
welcome them.